What we are looking for
MarketOne Builders is seeking an estimator with 5-10 years of commercial construction experience. Estimators will work primarily on negotiated commercial projects within our core markets and work closely with architects, engineers, owners, and subcontractors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include, but are not limited to the following. These duties describe the minimum activities of this position. Thee duties are subject to change in order to accommodate the needs of the company.
- Prepare and execute the bidding and estimating functions of projects, including preparation of bid instructions, pre-bid meetings, and subcontractor buy-out. Represent company ideals and performance through accuracy and commitment to project success.
- Analyze and compile estimate data that impact the cost of labor, materials, equipment requirements, location, and other factors to ensure a high quality and timely estimate.
- Maintains customer relationships through collaboration; empowering and informing them throughout the project.
- Analyze alternative solutions and construction methods to increase the competitiveness of the bid.
- Ability to make reliable predictions as it relates to cost and be comfortable estimating across all scopes of work.
- Must have experience preparing detailed conceptual cost estimates and conceptual cost studies from schematic or feasibility level documentation.
- Ability to prepare detailed estimates and as the design evolves, develop variance summaries between estimates and value engineering studies throughout.
- Ability to assemble a complete presentation-worthy estimate package that clearly communicates project cost.
- Must be able to collaborate with the project team to establish the necessary staffing and project requirements.
- Must have knowledge and understanding of unit costs and the factors that affect construction cost.
- Ability to prepare detailed instructions to bidders, trade specific clarifications and comprehensive bid packages.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with Owners, Architects, Subcontractors, and vendors.
- Must have experience with the bidding process: soliciting bids, communicating with bidders, evaluating subcontractor proposals, using bid tally sheets, etc.
- Make subcontractor award recommendations to the customer/owner and negotiate and finalize subcontracts with trade partners.
- Must have the ability to prepare and present details behind each estimate, including the basis of the man-hours allocated for each task, personnel resources needed to execute each task, etc. to the customer/owner
- Must have experience being a member of the team involved in the request for proposal responses (RFP’s) and the formal presentation for a project.
- Able to engage and develop business with new and existing customers.
- Participate in the active management of estimating systems and subcontractor solicitation software.
- Participate in training and personal development opportunities as offered by MarketOne Builders, Inc.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The successful candidate will possess:
- 5+ years of experience as a commercial construction estimator, preferably within MarketOne’s core markets.
- Bachelor’s degree a plus but not required.
- A strong work ethic and a “can-do” attitude.
- Excellent listening skills and strong communication skills.
- Creative and innovative approaches and solutions on a project-by-project basis.
- Ability to identify, adapt to, and resolve complex issues.
- Must have the ability to be self-motivated and effectively interact with team members internally and externally.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, estimating software (Timberline or similar), take-off software (On-Screen Takeoff or similar), BIM tools (Revit, Assemble, etc.), project management software (CMiC or similar), and scheduling software (Primavera or similar).