MarketOne Builders is seeking an estimator with 5-10 years of commercial construction experience. Estimators will work primarily on negotiated commercial projects within our core markets and work closely with architects, engineers, owners, and subcontractors.
- 5+ years of experience as a commercial construction estimator, preferably within MarketOne’s core markets.
- Bachelor’s degree a plus but not required.
- A strong work ethic and a “can-do” attitude.
- Excellent listening skills and strong communication skills.
- Creative and innovative approaches and solutions on a project-by-project basis.
- Ability to identify, adapt to, and resolve complex issues.
- Must have the ability to be self-motivated and effectively interact with team members internally and externally.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, estimating software (Timberline or similar), take-off software (On-Screen Takeoff or similar), BIM tools (Revit, Assemble, etc.), project management software (CMiC or similar), and scheduling software (Primavera or similar).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepare and execute the bidding and estimating functions of projects, including preparation of bid instructions, pre-bid meetings, and subcontractor buy-out. Represent company ideals and performance through accuracy and commitment to project success.
- Analyze and compile estimate data that impact the cost of labor, materials, equipment requirements, location, and other factors to ensure a high quality and timely estimate.
- Maintains customer relationships through collaboration; empowering and informing them throughout the project.
- Analyze alternative solutions and construction methods to increase the competitiveness of the bid.
- Ability to make reliable predictions as it relates to cost and be comfortable estimating across all scopes of work.
- Must have experience preparing detailed conceptual cost estimates and conceptual cost studies from schematic or feasibility level documentation.
- Ability to prepare detailed estimates and as the design evolves, develop variance summaries between estimates and value engineering studies throughout.
- Ability to assemble a complete presentation-worthy estimate package that clearly communicates project cost.
- Must be able to collaborate with the project team to establish the necessary staffing and project requirements.
- Must have knowledge and understanding of unit costs and the factors that affect construction cost.
- Ability to prepare detailed instructions to bidders, trade specific clarifications and comprehensive bid packages.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with Owners, Architects, Subcontractors, and vendors.
- Must have experience with the bidding process: soliciting bids, communicating with bidders, evaluating subcontractor proposals, using bid tally sheets, etc.
- Make subcontractor award recommendations to the customer/owner and negotiate and finalize subcontracts with trade partners.
- Must have the ability to prepare and present details behind each estimate, including the basis of the man-hours allocated for each task, personnel resources needed to execute each task, etc. to the customer/owner
- Must have experience being a member of the team involved in the request for proposal responses (RFP’s) and the formal presentation for a project.
- Able to engage and develop business with new and existing customers.
- Participate in the active management of estimating systems and subcontractor solicitation software.
- Participate in training and personal development opportunities as offered by MarketOne Builders, Inc.