What we are looking for
The Self-Performed Work Project Manager will be responsible for leading the business operations of all trade work performed by MarketOne Builders and assisting with various field related self-performed work activities.
- Direct supervision of the Labor Coordinator
- Estimating, scheduling and maintaining records and forecasts of annual trade work revenue and profits, and forecasting future trade work
- Maintain schedules and cost controls on all self-performed work from pre-construction through completion
- Monitor timely collection and accuracy of productivity and cost records and negotiate and execute annual material contracts.
- Additional responsibilities include developing and maintaining productive relationships with office and field personnel.
- Contributing to overall profitability and other goals of the Company.
- Assist Project Managers with the promotion of self-performed work projects.
- Monitor market costs for work that M1B self performs and progressively compare against M1B’s performance.
- Prepare detailed cost estimates for third party self-performed work proposals.
- Assist the Project Management team in conceptual estimates and verify the appropriate cost data is being utilized.
- Develop relationships in the construction industry that would facilitate manpower sharing and potential outside bidding on self-performed work scopes.
- Lead the SPW team on developing an accurate self-performed work cost database.
- Manage the process of preparing detailed self-performed work estimates for trade work and review with the appropriate project manager.
- Oversee the self-performed work pre-construction process and coordinate with SPW supervisor, field coordinator, and project managers prior to the start of work.
- Establish and document detail standards with Project Managers to align with best practices for self-performed work.
- Ensure that a work plan is documented for each project ensuring that site supervisors, foremen, and project managers understand the basis of schedule/budget/productivity/safety.
- Oversee the manpower forecasting process for M1B’s projects. Identify manpower shortages or oversupply and convey those needs to the Project Management team.
- Assist in vetting and hiring self-performed foreman and trades people.
- Source, evaluate, and make recommendations related to alternate equipment, materials, and means and methods related to self-performed work.
- Work with project managers to solicit, evaluate, and award subcontracts related to self-performed work.
- Monitor self-performed work budgets on a project by project basis. Support Project Managers to identify variances early in the schedule and assist in adjustments to project planning.
- Review changes in the work and produce change orders to record changes throughout construction.
- Review cost projections, schedule, and quality assurance for all projects with SPW work.
- Ensure that proper close-out documentation is recorded for final costs, quantities, and productivity for all projects.
- Meet regularly with staff to keep them informed and offer direction; continually refine job roles to align with Opus’ self-performed work plan.
- Continually evaluate M1B’s self-performed work program, looking for opportunities to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the group while providing group members with appropriate professional and personal growth opportunities.
- Conduct performance appraisals and establish individual development plans with direct report(s).
- Ensure that staff is motivated, mentored appropriately, and functions effectively as a team.
- Promote a culture that reflects the organization’s values, encourages good performance, and rewards productivity.
- Administer and enforce company policies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management or related area preferred but not necessary.
- Preferred eight years construction-project management experience, preferably with majority of time spent on commercial or multi-family projects.
- Preferred five years business experience requiring knowledge of accounting, budgeting, and cost allocation procedures
- Design-build and jobsite experience preferred
- Thorough knowledge of major aspects of designing and building projects
- Solid problem-solving skills and the ability to work efficiently and independently
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and customer relations skills
- Previous supervisory experience with the ability to effectively lead, motivate and constructively challenge internal SPW teams.